Our Client plays one of the most important roles in public and private transport in Australia; if you’ve ever taken a bus ride or taxi you will have on doubt used their services. With operations in five states and over 4000 employees worldwide they are the leader in land transport operations. They offer their employees a relaxed and collaborative environment with full flexibility-something that was already well established in their culture long before working from home was prevalent.
About the role
Reporting through to an accomplished General Counsel and Executive leadership, you will be a key senior member of the legal team, with one direct report. This role is as diverse as it comes, and no two days will be the same. Some of the activities you can expect to play a role in are:
- Provide legal advice on management and compliance with the terms of the existing operating contracts across Australia.
- Provide legal advice on all aspects of the renegotiation or retendering of operating contracts
- Management of acquisition and disposal of new and existing entities
- Provide advice on the interpretation of and compliance with legislation relevant to operations
- Contribute to the development, implementation and monitoring of internal policies, guidelines, procedures and processes
- Manage the procurement of specialist external legal advice as required and liaise with recipients to assist in the interpretation of external advice or consequences of that advice
- Manage litigation, including instructing external counsel
- Assist in monitoring and ensuring organisational legislative compliance
- Provide advice on compliance with legislative obligations in respect of OHS and environment issues.
You will ideally be at the 8+PQE level and have some great skills to bring to the table based on your in house and/or private practice experience. More than that you will enjoy a working environment where you have a high degree of stakeholder interaction in a fast moving industry with lots of moving parts. Some of the attribute which will assist you in enjoying this role to the fullest are:
- Pragmatic, solution orientated and energetic, displays personal initiative and attention to detail and a high level of organisational, planning and time management skills
- Demonstrated experience and skills in and knowledge and understanding of corporate and commercial legal matters
- Demonstrated ability to establish productive partnerships and working relationships to maximise business outcomes
- Ability to undertake investigative research to obtain, clarify and validate information that may require explanation and interpretation
- A high level of initiative and demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment in advising senior managers and others on sensitive issues
- Demonstrated ability to ensure all activities of the business comply with the relevant acts, legal requirements and ethical standards
We know you will have some questions about the intricacies of this role, and we are excited to speak to you and answer your questions. For a full position description and an informal confidential chat please reach out to Adam Kumaraswamy on 0414 223 338.
*This role is exclusive to Sharp & Carter Legal