UNIQLO is the leading brand of the Fast Retailing Group, the third-largest apparel retailer in the world.
UNIQLO continues to open large-scale stores in some of the world's most important cities and locations, as part of its ongoing efforts to solidify its status as a global brand. Today the company has more than 2,200 stores in 24 markets – including Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Japan, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Italy, India, Malaysia, Netherlands, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, U.K. and U.S.
About the role
Reporting through to the Legal Director Australia, you will be a key member of the legal team, the broader global legal network and a trusted advisor to the business. A significant proportion of your matters will be property related and demonstrated experience within retail leasing will be one of your key strengths. This is a role where you will be exposed to both business as usual and project based work.
Some of your responsibilities are to:
- Advise the business across a broad range of legal areas, including commercial agreements, supply and procurement, regulatory including competitions and trade promotions, privacy, Australian Consumer Law and supply chain, along with any other legal issues that may arise within a major global retailer.
- Review and negotiate leases (and related documentation) end-to-end to ensure they comply with company policy (property law / retail leasing background a mandatory requirement).
- Participate and provide legal and strategic advice to internal committee and strategy groups.
- Provide advice to senior management as to the legal implications of identified risks and the development of risk remediation strategies.
You could already be in private practice thinking about that “first move in house”, or a Legal Counsel seeking a new challenge in an exciting industry with a global company. Either way we know you will have some great skills to bring to the table based on your commercial and property law experience.
Some of the skills and experience you may have acquired that will help you succeed in this role are:
- 5+ years PQE at a reputable law firm or equivalent in-house experience and a valid Australian practising certificate.
- Excellent commercial contract drafting, negotiating skills and attention to detail.
- Accomplished property law and commercial leasing experience.
- Sound commercial reasoning and the ability to explain often complex legal issues in an easy-to-understand manner and manage a variety of stakeholders.
- Comfortable working autonomously and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
*This role is exclusive to Sharp & Carter Legal